Make a Good First Impression:
Dress to Impress.
You’re always taught not to judge a book by its cover and that appearances should be secondary. While in theory, this is the best way to look at the world, in practice, however, not everyone follows good advice.
The reality of life is that, in the business world, your colleagues and clients will pretty much always judge you by your appearance. They want to work with a man they respect; the man that looks like he means business.
With this in mind, there is all the more reason to smarten your act up a bit. Take our advice and bear a couple of these points in mind next time you’re getting dressed:
• Remember that there are no second chances to make a first impression. Make it a good one! People, your colleagues included, are biased towards making positive assumptions of well-dressed people. It’s simple psychology, really; use it to your advantage.
• A strong appearance has as much of a lasting impression as a strong handshake. Shabby attire is as bad as a limp wrist, gents.
• If you look the part, you are much more likely to act it. Dressing well has a transformative affect on your whole attitude. Fully suited and booted, you clearly communicate an air of authority.
• Dressing well on a daily basis demonstrates good personal discipline and an air of self respect, which in turn will inspire respect from others.
• When in doubt, dress up. It is always better to appear a little over-dressed than under-dressed.